On October 30, 1875, Mary Baker Eddy (then Glover) published her first book on Christian Science, entitled Science and Health. In later years Mrs. Eddy would write numerous other books, pamphlets, and articles, but her career as a published author began long before her work as the founder of Christian Science. This check-list is to record all known published writings by Mrs. Eddy up to and including Science and Health in 1875.
In writing about her early writing career many years later, Mrs. Eddy wrote in her manuscript entitled “Footprints Fadeless,” “If all my poems from early years which have appeared in public print were collected, they would fill a good-sized volume.” This check-list verifies that statement.
Note: some anonymous articles in the 1830s have been attributed to Mrs. Eddy but due to the speculative nature of those attributions, they are not included here.
1. “When I was a Wee Little Slip of a Girl,” Hill's New Hampshire Patriot,December 23, 1840. This appeared anonymously and is attributed to Mrs. Eddy by Gilbert C. Carpenter, Jr., in Early Verse ([West Barrington,R.I.]: Privately Printed, , unpaginated) and Marian King in Mary Baker Eddy: Child of Promise (Englewood Cliffs, N.J.: Prentice-Hall, 1968), p. 55. Carpenter wrote in Early Verse that a “manuscript which verifies this authorship is in the archives of The Mother Church, The First Church of Christ, Scientist in Boston.” This apparently refers to the inclusion of this title by Mrs. Eddy in one of her two notebooks along with titles of other poems all apparently written by her.
2. “The Summer is Past the Harvest is Ended,” by “M.” Belknap Gazette, October 18, 1842. The title is derived from Jeremiah 8:20.
3. “A Winter's Sunset,” by “M.” Belknap Gazette and Carroll County Advertiser, February 21, 1843. (The newspaper changed its title to this longer version starting with the January 17, 1843 issue.)
4. “Farewell,” by “M.” Belknap Gazette and Carroll County Advertiser, May 2, 1843.
5. “On seeing a Bird flying Southward,” by “M.” Belknap Gazette and Carroll County Advertiser, May 23, 1843. This poem was reprinted many years later as follows: “To a Bird Flying Southward,” by “Mary A. [sic] Patterson.” The Independent Democrat, July 3, 1862. Bates-Dittemore in Mary Baker Eddy, p. 76, give an incorrect publication date. The published date in Mary Baker Eddy of June 26, 1862, is a typographical error. The original manuscript of the Bates-Dittemore biography reads June 20, 1862, which is the date the poem was written rather than published.
6. “Stanzas Written When About Leaving New England, at the Grave of Albert Baker, Esq.” by “M.” Belknap Gazette and Carroll County Advertiser, December 19, 1843. Carpenter in Early Verse mistakenly attributes this to the New Hampshire Patriot and State Gazette. Judge Clifford P. Smith did as well at the 1938 Annual Meeting of The Mother Church, as reported in the July, 1938 Christian Science Journal. This has been cited in its manuscript form under a slightly different title. See Robert Peel, Mary Baker Eddy: The Years of Discovery, p. 321. Note: the text of this poem was copied by George Baker, Mrs. Eddy's brother, in his journal. He recorded Mary Baker as the author. That journal is owned by the Longyear Museum and was displayed by them in 1992.
7. “Winter,” by “Mary.” Belknap Gazette and Carroll County Advertiser, December 26, 1843. A holograph version of this poem appears in Mrs. Eddy's notebook.
8. “Acrostic,” by “Mrs. G.W. Glover.” Wilmington Messenger, date unknown. Reprinted in the Belknap Gazette and Carroll County Advertiser, April 30, 1844.
9. “Parody.” Wilmington Messenger, April 1844. This poem appeared anonymously, but Elizabeth Earl Jones in her 1949 manuscript on Mrs. Eddy’s stay in the South showed it as being by “Mrs. G. W. Glover” and she provided the date of April 11, 1844, but she was likely wrong (see below). Mrs. Eddy kept a clipping of this poem in her scrapbook.
Ernest S. Bates and John V. Dittemore in Mary Baker Eddy: The Truth and the Tradition (New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 1932), p. 34, mistakenly give a publication date of April 3, 1844. King in Mary Baker Eddy, p. 77, incorrectly gives a publication date of April 11, 1844. The clipping of the poem that has been preserved clearly indicates that the poem was written in Wilmington on April 11, 1844. A publication date of about April 15, 1844, seems likely. The text given by Carpenter in Early Verse adds "By Mrs. G.W. Glover" under the title (the Mary Baker Eddy library has a large collection of letters from Jones to Gilbert Carpenter, Jr., so that is likely the source for Carpenter’s attribution). No such sign of authorship appears on the original.
Henry Clay visited Wilmington, North Carolina, about April 10, 1844, and his visit to the city where Mrs. Eddy lived likely brought forth this poem.
10. “A Sabbath Morning at the Sound,” by “Mrs. G.W. Glover.” A fragment of this article is preserved in Mrs. Eddy's scrapbook. The title and the name of authorship suggest a newspaper or periodical of the South, perhaps the Wilmington Messenger. The date is likely the spring of 1844.
11. “Lines Written on Reading an Address on the Moral Power of Charity, Delivered by Rev. Albert Chase before St. John's Lodge and Concord Chapter at Wilmington, N.C. on the 27th December Last,” by “Mrs. G.W. Glover.” Wilmington Messenger, date unknown. The address by Rev. Chase was printed at length in The Freemasons' Monthly Magazine, April 1, 1844. This is likely where Mrs. Eddy read it. A publication date of sometime in April, 1844, seems likely.
12. “A Fragment,” by “Mrs. G.W. Glover.” The Floral Wreath, and Ladies' Monthly Magazine, May, 1844. This periodical also went by the popular title of Heriot's Magazine when reviewed by the local press, but the former title is correct. See William Stanley Hoole, A Check-list and Finding-list of Charleston Periodicals 1732-1864 (Durham, N.C.: Duke University Press, 1936), pp. 48-49. May, 1844, saw the first issue of this magazine.
13. “My Mother,” by “Mrs. G.W. Glover.” The Floral Wreath, and Ladies' Monthly Magazine, June, 1844. This appeared in manuscript form under the title, “To My Mother, After a Long Separation.” See Peel, Mary Baker Eddy: The Years of Discovery, p. 76. (Note: Peel was not able to date this poem in his biography because a file of the periodical had not yet been discovered.)
14. “The Old Man of the Mountain,” by “Mrs. G.W. Glover.” The Floral Wreath, and Ladies' Monthly Magazine, July, 1844. This consists of a two-paragraph foreword and the poem of the above title. Both the foreword and the poem were reprinted in the Odd Fellows publication, The Covenant (Baltimore, MD), July, 1846. The poem alone was reprinted in a gift book that went through numerous changes in publisher and title, but always with the same plates used for the text so that the pagination is always the same. The list of titles is as follows:
•Gems for You; From New Hampshire Authors, F.A. Moore, compiler (Manchester, N.H.: William H. Fisk, 1850), pp. 112-13.
•Gems for You; A Gift for All Seasons, F.A. Moore, compiler (Manchester, N.H.: William H. Fisk, 1851).
•The Book of Gems; A Gift for All Seasons, Eugene Sinclair, compiler (Manchester, N.H.: William H. Fisk, 1854).
•The Book of Gems; A Gift for All Seasons, Eugene Sinclair, compiler (Boston: Published by J. Buffum, 1856).
•A Gift for You, of Prose and Poetic Gems, Eugene Sinclair, compiler (Boston: G.W. Cottrell, 1857). This edition was also issued in 1858 and1859. In addition, this edition was issued about this time without publication dates. One copy that has been located has a gift inscription date of December 25, 1860, but it is not known whether the book was new at that time. Another copy, with a special green binding that appeared to be of a later vintage, had an inscription date of 1870, but again, that may not have been written when the book was first published.
•The Book of Gems; A Gift for All Seasons, Eugene Sinclair, compiler (Manchester, N.H.: [W.H.] Fisk, 1858). This issue is recorded in the National Union Catalog and may have an incorrect form of publisher's name.
•Friendship's Offering, A Gift for All Seasons, Eugene Sinclair, compiler (Manchester, N.H.: Fisk & Stearns, 1858).
(The above research confirms and expands upon the work of Ralph Thompson in American Literary Annuals & Gift Books 1825-1865 ([N.p.]: Archon Books, 1967), p. 125, and Frederick Faxon, Literary Annuals and Gift-Books. Boston: The Boston Book Company, 1912, pp. 28 and 31. A brief history of the above variant issues also appears in the BAL, Vol. 2, p. 463.)
15. “The Widow's Prayer,” by “Mrs. G.W. Glover.” The Freemasons' Monthly Magazine (Boston, MA), May 1, 1845. (Note: this poem was misdated by Robert Peel in Discovery, p. 324, as January 1845.) A slightly revised manuscript version was reprinted by John V. Dittemore in The Ladies’ Home Journal, June, 1911. For reasons not given, the poem was dated about the year 1858.
16. [Excerpt from a Letter.] The Freemasons' Monthly Magazine, May 1, 1845. Albert Case in his obituary of Mrs. Eddy's husband, George Glover, printed an excerpt of a letter that Mrs. Eddy had sent to him in 1844: “. . . never, never, shall I forget while reason lasts, the kindness of the Brethren at Wilmington . . . they will be cherished in my heart's heart.”
17. “Death of Jackson,” by “Mary M. Glover.” New Hampshire Patriot and State Gazette, July 17, 1845. “Jackson” was former president Andrew Jackson, who died on June 8, 1845, at his Hermitage estate in Nashville, Tennessee.
18. “Sonnet,” by “M.M.G.” New Hampshire Patriot and State Gazette, November 13, 1845. This poem is “Respectfully dedicated to Mrs. R____N.” A revision of this poem, with the title “Sonnet, to Rev. Albert Case,” appeared in the Boston publication, The Odd Fellow, September 3, 1846. Mrs. Eddy revised the poem again, presumably in 1863, when she wrote a “Sonnet[,] Suggested by Reading the Remarkable Cure of Capt. J.W. Deering .” This manuscript poem was dedicated to “Doctor P.P. Quimby,” and the original manuscript is in the Phineas P. Quimby papers in the Library of Congress. Along with the manuscript is a note to the editor of the Portland, Maine, newspaper, The Evening Courier, asking for a speedy insertion. It is possible that the poem and note were sent by Mrs. Eddy to Quimby for his review and were never subsequently submitted for publication. This would explain the fact that the original documents are still in the Quimby papers. No file of the Evening Courier is known. See Horatio W. Dresser (ed.), The Quimby Manuscripts (New York: Thomas Y. Crowell Company, ), pp. vii-viii of the appendix. The transcript of the poem on page 160 of the 1921 edition of The Quimby Manuscripts is inaccurate.
19. “Thoughts at a Grave,” by “Mrs. M. M. Glover.” The Covenant, December, 1845. The Covenant was an Odd Fellows periodical published in Baltimore.
20. “Benefits of Odd-Fellowship, No. 1.” by “M. M. G.” The Covenant, February, 1846. In the same issue, the editor wrote: “We are indebted to Mrs. Mary M. Glover, of N.H., for an interesting article, (No. 1,) on the Benefits of Odd-Fellowship. We insert with great pleasure and are well persuaded that our readers will look with interest for future numbers from the same pen. Odd-Fellowship is worthy the approval of the wise and good, and when thus commended by woman,—we, its votaries, may well feel encouraged to labor in its behalf. She, not only declares its utility to the world, and shows wherein its excellency consists, but she pleads for its progress,—its success, and its future triumphs at the throne of the Eternal.”
21. “In Spirit Am I With Thee, Friends,” by “M. M. G.” New Hampshire Patriot and State Gazette, March 5, 1846.
22. “Benefits of Odd-Fellowship.” by “M. M. G.” The Covenant, April, 1846.
[Note: also in this issue of The Covenant is an excerpt that is simply attributed as follows: “The following pathetic expressions were selected for the Covenant, by one of the choicest of earth, who is proverbial for kindness and sympathy, and who having passed through the afflictive scenes described, has realized the truthfulness of the sentiments expressed.” The three paragraph selection includes the following: “Who that has watched beside the sick—the dying couch of a beloved being—does not remember the dreary, desolate blank that succeeds the moment of dissolution? While life remains, hope will linger.” Gilbert C. Carpenter, Jr., attributes this to Mrs. Glover in his privately printed Items Culled From the Press, , pp. 13-14, but that attribution, while probable, is not certain. (Stephen Gottschalk in Rolling Away the Stone: Mary Baker Eddy’s Challenge to Materialism [Bloomington, Indiana: Indiana University Press, , pp. 63 and 433, also makes the case for this having been written by Mrs. Eddy.) It is worth noting that in her article “Odd-Fellowship” in November, 1846, Mrs. Glover wrote similarly: “Behold with woman’s nature, the ministering angel o’er the death couch, watch the scene till it darkens, when hope and love that so lately nestled warm in the bosom, is shrouded in the tomb!”]
23. “The Emigrant's Farewell,” by “Mrs. Mary M. Glover.” The Covenant, May, 1846.
24. “Emma Clinton, or a Tale of the Frontiers,” by “Mrs. Mary M. Glover.” The Covenant, August, 1846. Back in the April, 1846, issue, the editor had written of this upcoming piece of writing: “We have the promise of a ‘Tale of the Frontiers’—by our fair correspondent in New Hampshire, for an early number of the Covenant. We shall take pleasure in laying it before our readers, confident that it will be perused with interest. Mrs. M. M. Glover, has become extensively and favorably known as a writer, to the readers of our Periodicals, and the ‘Tale of the Frontiers,’ will be looked for patiently, yet with hope.”
25. “Odd-Fellows' Harp,” by “Mary M. Glover.” The Covenant, September, 1846.
26. “The Bible,” by “Mary M. Glover.” The Covenant, October, 1846.
27. “The Moon,” by “Mary M. Glover.” The Covenant, October, 1846.
28. “Odd-Fellowship,” by “Mary M. Glover.” The Covenant, November, 1846.
Note: another Odd Fellows publication, The Golden Rule and Odd-Fellows’ Family Companion (November 14, 1846), wrote of this issue of the Covenant: “It contains a good variety of instructive and amusing articles, which no doubt will strengthen its hold upon the affections of its numerous readers.”
29. “Immortality of the Soul,” by “Mary M. Glover.” The Covenant, May, 1847. A nice announcement of the upcoming article appeared in the previous month’s Covenant. The announcement said that the article was written “in the pure and chaste style so characteristic of her writing.”
30. “The Test of Love,” by “Mary M. Glover.” The Covenant, June, 1847.
31. “Mary M. Glover.” The Covenant, June, 1847. This poem appeared anonymously, but internal and external evidence make it clear that this poem was written by Mrs. Eddy, rather than just being about her. It is possible that the poem was submitted untitled and the editor simply added her name as the title.
32. [Excerpt from a Letter.] The Covenant, June, 1847. The editor of The Covenant printed a brief excerpt from a letter that Mrs. Eddy had written to him on March 10, 1847: “I am hopefully recovering after six months suffering.”
33. “Prayer,” by “Mary M. Glover.” The Covenant, July, 1847.
34. [Excerpt from a Letter.] The Freemasons' Monthly Magazine, August, 1847. The letter, dated June 7, 1847, is from a “Mason's Widow” in Sanbornton Bridge, New Hampshire—the town where Mrs. Eddy then lived. In the letter she declines an invitation to a Masonic Festival because no one can take her and she does not want to go alone.
35. “Sonnet to Harry,” by “G.M.M.” The Covenant, September, 1847. "G.M.M." was a reversal of Mrs. Eddy's initials at the time, her name then being Mary Morse Glover. The poem in revised form, under the title “Upward,” appeared in The Christian Science Journal in July, 1903. Later, it appeared in Mrs. Eddy's collected Poems, pp. 18-19. Another version of the poem was added by Mrs. Eddy to her article “Fallibility of Human Concepts” in her Miscellaneous Writings (p. 354 in the final edition) sometime after the original printing of the book in 1897.
36. “Erin, the Smile and the Tear in Thine Eyes,” by “Mary M. Glover.” The Covenant, September, 1847.
37. “The Grave of Ringgold,” by “Annapolis Bard.” The Covenant, November, 1847. Reprinted in the New Hampshire Patriot and State Gazette, February 10, 1848, under the same title but with the initials “M. M. G.”
38. “The Wife,” by “Mrs. Mary M. Glover.” The Freemasons' Monthly Magazine, January 1, 1848. It is recorded that Mrs. Glover sent a holograph copy of this poem to her friend, Priscilla Clement.
39. “Lines on the Death of Colonel Ransom,” by “Mary M. Glover.” New Hampshire Patriot and State Gazette, January 20, 1848.
40. “Lines, Suggested on Reading an Account of the Masonic Meeting of Generals Quitman and Shields, U.S.A., at a Festival of the Fraternity in Charleston, S.C.” by “Mary M. Glover.” The Freemasons' Monthly Magazine, March 1, 1848. Reprinted in the New Hampshire Patriot and State Gazette, March 30, 1848.
41. “Odd Fellowship,” by “Mary M. Glover.” Two separate printings of this poem are known and preserved as clippings in Mrs. Eddy's scrapbooks. One is evidently in the Connecticut Odd Fellow and the other in the “Symbol.” King in Mary Baker Eddy, p. 79, gives a publication date of June 6, 1844, for the version in Connecticut Odd Fellow. This is not accurate. (The September 25, 1847, issue of The Golden Rule and Odd-Fellows’ Family Companion announced that the first issue of the Connecticut Odd Fellow was published in Hartford, Connecticut, also on September 25, 1847.)
From a holograph version of the poem in Mrs. Eddy's notebook, it is known that she wrote the poem while in Wilmington, North Carolina, in 1844. One clipping in her scrapbook has at the top: “For the Conn. Odd Fellow.” The other clipping has at the top: “For the Symbol.” Copies of The Symbol, and Odd Fellow's Magazine for December, 1843 - June, 1846, have been located and examined without success in finding this poem. A possible successor publication, Weekly Symbol and Odd Fellows' Gazette, is listed in the Union List of Serials for the time period May 20, 1846 - April 7, 1849. Unfortunately, no complete file of this periodical has been found. In addition, no complete file of the Connecticut Odd Fellow has been located. (The Connecticut Historical Society has various issues of the Connecticut Odd Fellow dating from June 3 – December 23, 1848, but the above poem does not appear in those issues.)
The Longyear Museum has put on display a letter from one Townsend P. Abell in Middletown, Connecticut, to Mrs. Eddy, dated April 3, 1848. He is known to be have been the “D.D. Grand Master” of the Middleton Lodge in 1846. In the letter, Abell told Mrs. Eddy that a mutual friend had showed to him one of her “poetical articles.” He took the liberty of sending it along to the Connecticut Odd Fellow, and he sent along to Mrs. Eddy a copy of the magazine. After giving his regrets that the item was not copied properly, he told Mrs. Eddy that he was trying to sustain his fraternal publication and wanted to know if she would consider becoming a correspondent. This letter clearly suggests that Mrs. Eddy's first contribution did not occur until at least early 1848. For the only reference to Townsend Abell in a biography of Mrs. Eddy, see Richard Nenneman, Persistent Pilgrim: The Life of Mary Baker Eddy (1997), p. 47.
(While no copies of the Connecticut Odd Fellow with Mrs. Eddy's contribution are extant, a published report of a meeting on January 12, 1848, of the Grand Lodge of the Connecticut Odd Fellows told of a resolution put forth (and passed) by Abell “that we view with satisfaction the establishment of a weekly periodical devoted to the interests of Odd Fellowship in this State; and therefore recommend, with great cheerfulness and sincerity, the ‘Connecticut Odd Fellow’ to the encouragement and patronage of the brotherhood in this commonwealth.”)
Both versions of the poem are signed “Mary M. Glover,” a form of her name she did not use until 1845 and later—a time after her stay in the South. Available evidence suggests publication dates for the two poems of the latter half of the 1840's, especially about the year 1848.
42. “Our Country,” by “Mary M. Glover.” New Hampshire Patriot and State Gazette, March 16, 1848. Reprinted in the same newspaper on April 6, 1848.
43. “Voices of Spring,” by “Mary M. Glover.” New Hampshire Patriot and State Gazette, April 27, 1848. Reprinted as “Spring” in the Lynn Weekly Reporter [Lynn, Massachusetts], June 3, 1865. The poem was rewritten under the title, “June.”
44. “The Mother at the Loss of Her Drowned Son, Whose Body was not Recovered,” by “Mary M. Glover.” New Hampshire Patriot and State Gazette, June 1, 1848.
45. “American Heroes' Festival,” by “Mary M. Glover.” New Hampshire Patriot and State Gazette, July 6, 1848.
46. “Oh! For Thy Wings Sweet Bird,” by “Mary M. Glover.” New Hampshire Patriot and State Gazette, August 30, 1849.
47. “To My Mother in Heaven,” by “Mary M. Glover.” New Hampshire Patriot and State Gazette, December 20, 1849. Reprinted in The Juvenile Sunday-Book; Containing Sketches in Prose and Verse, Adapted to the Moral Improvement of the Young, published separately in New York by the firms of J. S. Redfield and Kiggins & Kellogg. Both pamphlets are undated but are believed to have been published sometime between the death of Mrs. Eddy's mother on November 21, 1849, and the end of 1854. (A later issue of the Kiggins and Kellogg version appeared in 1856 or later. Between the two publishers, at least eight issues of the pamphlet are known.) Both pamphlets use the same plates, and, thus, the poem appears on pages 14-15 in both issues. A bound copy of the Kiggins and Kellogg Fourth Series is recorded, which includes this pamphlet.
The poem in revised form appeared with the title “The Last but One---To Sister Hannah” in the Portland Daily Press [Portland, Maine], February 19, 1864, and again in the Maine State Press, February 25, 1864.
48. “The Valley Cemetery,” by “Mrs. Mary M. Glover.” Gems For You; From New Hampshire Authors, F. A. Moore, compiler (Manchester, N.H.: William H. Fisk, 1850), pp. 176-177. See the listing above for “The Old Man of the Mountain” for a complete history of the variant issues of this book.
49. “To General Cass,” by “Mary M. Glover.” New Hampshire Patriot and State Gazette, February 7, 1850.
50. [Obituary.] New Hampshire Patriot and State Gazette, March 14, 1850. This obituary of John H. Bartlett was signed "COM." This was commonly found at the end of obituaries in this newspaper and others and is believed to mean “communicated,” so that the text was written by someone other than the newspaper staff. This is attributed to Mrs. Eddy by Bates-Dittemore in Mary Baker Eddy, p. 49, perhaps based on the fact that a clipping of this obituary was preserved by Mrs. Eddy in her scrapbook with her name written beside it, suggesting that she wished her authorship recorded.
John Bartlett was engaged to be married to Mrs. Eddy prior to his leaving for the California Gold Rush in 1849, according to a notation made by Mrs. Eddy in her scrapbook. He died in “Sacramento City” on December, 11, 1849, just a few weeks after the death of Mrs. Eddy's mother.
51. “The Flag of Our Union,” by “Mrs. Mary M. Glover.” New Hampshire Patriot and State Gazette, July 28, 1852.This is just one of two printings of this poem. The other is from an unidentified source, and it is the version preserved in Mrs. Eddy’s scrapbook.
52. “Sonnet, TO GEN. FRANKLIN PIERCE,” by “Mary M. Glover.” New Hampshire Patriot and State Gazette, October 20, 1852.
53. “Lake Winnipiseogee,” by “Mary M. Glover.” Godey's Lady's Book, February, 1853. This is Mrs. Eddy's only recorded poem in this popular magazine. Bates-Dittemore and others have incorrectly attributed to Mrs. Eddy a poem entitled “The Mourner” which appeared in that magazine in 1843, because the poem was signed "M. M. B." [i.e., Mary Morse Baker]. Later the poem was determined to be by a different author, an M. M. Bartlett. See Peel, Mary Baker Eddy: The Years of Discovery, p. 321.
54. “Woman's Rights—What Are They?” by “Mary W. [sic] Glover.” Gleason's Pictorial Drawing-Room Companion, February 19, 1853. (Note: in the issue of February 12, 1853, the magazine listed the poems that would appear the following week, and the correct name was given then.) This would prove to be one of Mrs. Eddy's most reprinted poems. Given below is a list of later publications through 1875:
•Portland Daily Advertiser, by “Mary M. Patterson,” November 13, 1862.
•[Source unknown], a clipping in Mrs. Eddy's scrapbook, only partially preserved, by “M. M. P.”
Note: Robert Peel in the second volume of his biographical trilogy of Mrs. Eddy, p. 317, incorrectly states that a version of this poem appeared in the New Hampshire Patriot and State Gazette.
The original manuscript submitted to Gleason's in 1853 has been preserved and was sold at the auction of Harris Auction Galleries, Inc., on February 6, 1981. An original manuscript of this poem, dated October, 1874, sold in 1908 at auction for $43.00. A facsimile of this latter manuscript was later produced by Frederick Remington as an aid in the selling of his rare Christian Science material in the 1930's.
55. Published affidavit by “Mary M. Patterson,” dated April 3, 1860, regarding the case of the Wheets, father and son, who attacked her husband and threatened harm before she through herself in the midst of them. This affidavit was found in a clipping in the Georgine Milmine material in the Mary Baker Eddy Library for the Betterment of Humanity. That clipping has not been dated or its original source found. The original news article on this affair was from the Nashua Gazette and Hillsborough County Advertiser of March 15, 1860, a copy of which was in Mrs. Eddy’s scrapbook. A volunteer at the New Hampshire Historical Society was unable to find this latter article in the Nashua Gazette or the New Hampshire Patriot.
56. “Major Anderson and Our Country,” by “Mary M. Patterson.” The Independent Democrat [Concord, New Hampshire], February 14, 1861.
57. “What I do not Know, and What I do Know,” by “Mary M. Patterson.” Portland Evening Courier [Portland, Maine], November 7 [?], 1862. The date of November 7, 1862, has customarily been used since the Georgine Milmine biographical serial of Mrs. Eddy in McClure's magazine in 1907. However, the only known copies extant are an undated clipping in the Phineas P. Quimby papers in the Library of Congress and a clipping in one of Mrs. Eddy’s scrapbooks. Julius Dresser, in The True History of Mental Science (Boston: Alfred Mudge & Son, Printers, 1887), p. 22, incorrectly gives a publication date of June, 1862. Part of this letter was reprinted in the Portland Daily Advertiser, November 8, 1862, in an effort to deride its author. No file of the Portland Evening Courier has been located.
58. [Untitled.] A reply by “Mary M. Patterson” in the Portland Evening Courier to the derisive article on November 8, 1862, in the Portland Daily Advertiser. This undated clipping is in the Quimby papers. A publication date of about November 9 or 10, 1862, seems likely.
59. “Reminiscences of Portland,” by “M. M. Patterson.” Portland Daily Press, October 21, 1863. The reminiscences are from a journal kept by her in July, 1863.
60. “Opportunity and Courage,” by “M. M. Patterson.” Portland Daily Press, October 27, 1863.
61. “To S.J.F.” by “M. M. Patterson.” Portland Daily Press, November 16, 1863. “S.J.F.” was a frequent contributor of poems to the Portland newspapers of the day.
62. “Lines for the Rolls in New Hampshire,” by “Mary M. Patterson.” The Independent Democrat, November 19, 1863. Republished under the title, “Written on Reading the Call of the Governor of New Hampshire for Soldiers,” in the Portland Daily Press, December 12, 1863, and in the Maine State Press, December 17, 1863.
63. “Way-side Thoughts,” by “M. M. Patterson.” Portland Daily Press, November 21, 1863. This is a letter to the Press, the first of three with the same heading.
64. “Christmas Day,” by “Mary M. Patterson.” Portland Daily Press, December 31, 1863.
65. “Way-side Thoughts,” by “M. M. Patterson.” Portland Daily Press, January 7, 1864.
66. “Winter,” by “Mary M. Patterson.” Portland Daily Press, January 23, 1864. This poems differs textually from the earlier poem with the same title.
67. “Way-side Thoughts,” by “Mary M. Patterson.” Portland Daily Press, January 29, 1864. This appeared in a much revised form as “Falsehood” by “M. M. P.” in the Lynn Bulletin [Lynn, Massachusetts], November 8, 1865. It was reprinted again, in a version much closer to the original, as “Slander” in the Journal of Christian Science, August 14, 1883. Portions of that article appeared in The Christian Science Journal, April, 1885, and June, 1886. Finally, the article, retitled “Perfidy and Slander,” was included in Miscellaneous Writings (1897), pp. 226-228.
68. “The Women of Tennessee,” by “Mrs. M. M. Patterson.” Portland Daily Press, March 8, 1864.
69. “The High Rock Concert,” by “M. M. P.” Lynn Weekly Reporter [Lynn, Massachusetts], July 9, 1864. Note: a holograph version of a poem evidently concerning this concert in Mrs. Eddy's handwriting was offered for sale in a 1931 catalog of the rare book dealer Paul Elder. It was titled in the catalog “Home on High Rock.”
70. “Day After Thanksgiving,” by “M. M. P********.” Lynn Bay State [Lynn, Massachusetts], December 1, 1864. Reprinted in revised form in the Journal of Christian Science, December 1, 1883, and included in Miscellaneous Writings (1897), pp. 230-232. Bates-Dittemore in Mary Baker Eddy, p. 102, incorrectly give a publication date for this article of November 25, 1864.
Note: the Essex Institute, Salem, Massachusetts, is the only known location for any issues of the Lynn Bay State. Unfortunately, only a few issues of that paper for 1864 and 1865 are extant. Other contributions by Mrs. Patterson may now be lost to historians.
71. “Alone,” by “Mary M. P____.” Lynn Bay State, December 22, 1864. A longer, revised manuscript version, dated August 13, 1867, was published by John V. Dittemore in the Ladies' Home Journal, June, 1911.
72. “The Liberty Bells,” by “Mary M. Patterson.” Lynn Reporter, February 11, 1865.
73. “LINES on Visiting Pine Grove Cemetery,” by “Mary M. Patterson.” Lynn Weekly Reporter, September 9, 1865.
74. “Our National Thanksgiving Hymn,” by “Mary M. Patterson.” Lynn Weekly Reporter, December 30, 1865.
75. “To the Old Year, 1865,” by “Mary M. Patterson.” Lynn Weekly Reporter, January 13, 1866.
76. “Essex County Good Templars Union at Marblehead,” by “M. W. [sic] Patterson.” Lynn Weekly Reporter, February 3, 1866.
77. “LINES on the Decease of Dr. P. P. Quimby, Who Healed with the Truth that Christ Taught, in Contradistinction to All Isms,” by “Mary M. Patterson.” Lynn Reporter, February 14, 1866. Julius Dresser owned a clipping of this poem which Mrs. Eddy had mailed to him. In The True History of Mental Science in 1887 he began a mistake which was to be duplicated by all later chroniclers for nearly a century: the word “decease” was replaced by the word “death” in the title. However, a manuscript version of this poem, given by Mrs. Eddy to Sarah Crosby and printed in McClure's magazine in February, 1907, used the word “death” in the title.
78. Printed invitation as follows:
“Lynn, March 19, 1866
The next regular meeting of Sagamore Social Temple of Honor, No. 6, will be held at Odd Fellows’ Hall, on Monday, March 26th inst., at 7 1-2 o’clock, P.M., when the vote will be taken on a motion of surrender the Charter.
You are requested to be present,
M.M. Patterson, Sec’y.”
On the back of this document, Eddy wrote a holograph version of her above poem to Quimby.
79. “Swampscott,” by “Mrs. M. M. Patterson.” Lynn Reporter, April 4, 1866.
80. [Untitled hymn.] Lynn Reporter, August 4, 1866. In an anonymous article entitled “Dedication of a Temperance Hall,” a six-stanza hymn written by Mrs. Eddy for the occasion was printed.
81. “To Ellen.--'Sing Me That Song,’ ” by “Mary M. Patterson.” Lynn Reporter, August 25, 1866. Note: the Longyear Museum has put on display a holograph poem, undated, entitled “O Sing Me That Song” by “Mary M. B. Patterson.” That poem was dedicated to her sister-in-law, Martha Rand Baker.
82. “I'm Sitting Alone,” by “Mary M. Patterson.” Lynn Reporter, September 12, 1866.
83. “To My Absent Brother,” by “Mary M. Patterson.” Lynn Reporter, November 24, 1866.
84. “To Etta,” by “M. M. Patterson.” Lynn Reporter, December 8, 1866.
85. “Invocation for 1868,” by “Mary Baker Glover.” Lynn Reporter, January 4, 1868.
86. “Poetry,” by “Mary M. Patterson." Lynn Reporter, February 15, 1868. This would become one of Mrs. Eddy's most beloved hymns. This was later printed in 1868 as follows:
•“Christ my Refuge,” by “Mary M. B. Glover.” Amesbury and Salisbury Mills [Massachusetts] Villager, August 20, 1868. This version is reprinted imperfectly in Mary Beecher Longyear, The History of a House (Brookline, MA: Zion Research Foundation, 1925), pp. 67-68. (Robert Peel in Discovery, p. 350, dates a clipping of this at August 2, 1868. That is the date the poem was written, as given at the foot of the text. The poem was printed on the above date of August 20, 1868.)
87. “Lines,” by “Mary M. Patterson.” Lynn Reporter, March 14, 1868.
88. “The Angel of the Hour,” by “Mary M. Glover.” Amesbury and Salisbury Mills Villager, April 23, 1868. Carpenter in Early Verse records a version with slightly different wording signed by “Mary M. Patterson,” but no source or date are given.
89. [Advertisement] by “Mary B. Glover.” Banner of Light, June 20, 1868. Repeated in this Boston periodical on June 27 and July 4, 1868. (Most biographers record only the July 4 printing.) The advertisement is to learn from Mrs. Glover how to heal the sick.
90. [Advertisement] by “Mary M. B. Glover.” Banner of Light, December 4, 1869. Repeated December 11, 1869. This is an invitation to have Mrs. Glover teach the reader “a SCIENCE by which all diseases are healed.”
91. [Advertisement] Lynn Semi-Weekly Reporter, August 13, 1870. Repeated August 17, 1870. This is an unsigned invitation to learn to heal the sick from Mrs. Glover at Dr. Kennedy's. Because Richard Kennedy is mentioned, his authorship is possible. However, Mrs. Glover's authorship seems very likely.
92. “A Card,” by “Mrs. Glover.” Lynn Semi-Weekly Reporter, December 31, 1870. This is a thank you from Mrs. Glover to her students for their presents on Christmas Eve.
93. “A Card,” by “Mrs. M. M. Glover.” Lynn Semi-Weekly Reporter, February 1, 1871. In this notice, Mrs. Glover gives her thanks to Rev. Cook for taking his moral stand and gives her famous statement: “Purity is the baptism of scientific Christianity.”
94. “Truth,” by “Mrs. M. M. B. Glover.” Lynn Transcript, May 6, 1871.
95. “Nevermore,” by “Mary M. Baker Glover.” Lynn Transcript, September 23, 1871.
96. “Lines, on Receiving Some Grapes,” by “Mary Baker Glover.” Lynn Transcript, November 4, 1871.
97. [Letter to the Editor] by “Mary M. B. Glover.” Lynn Transcript, January 20, 1872.This lengthy letter responds to the letter of Wallace Wright in the Transcript one week earlier which attacked her teachings. On January 27 in the Transcript, Wright wrote a second letter, entitled “Moral Science alias Mesmerism.--No. 2,” in which he repeated some of Mrs. Glover's letter in the January 20 Transcript.
98. “To the Public. Moral Science and Mesmerism,” by “Mrs. Mary M. B. Glover.” Lynn Transcript, February 3, 1872. The newspaper exchange between Mrs. Glover and Wallace Wright impelled her to give here the first published statement of Christian Science, then called Moral Science. In addition, Mrs. Glover announces her intention to publish a book on the subject. Excerpts from this letter were reprinted the following week by Wallace Wright in another one of his attacks (see below).
99. “Moral Science alias Mesmerism.--No. 3.” [by “W. W. Wright”]. Lynn Transcript, February 10, 1872. Wright, in another attack on Mrs. Glover's teachings, here quotes excerpts from her manuscripts used by her when she taught her classes in Christian Science.
100. “Dissolution of Copartnership,” by “Mary M. B. Glover.” Lynn Semi-Weekly Reporter, May 4, 1872. This formally announces the termination of business relations between Mrs. Glover and Richard Kennedy. Repeated the same month in the Reporter on the 8th, 11th, 15th, and 18th.
101. “Card,” by “Mary M. B. Glover.” Lynn Semi-Weekly Reporter, January 8, 1873. Mrs. Glover here gives thanks for gifts given to her by her students.
102. “Take Notice!” by “Mrs. M. B. Glover.” Lynn Semi-Weekly Reporter, June 19, 1875. Repeated the same year in the Reporter for June 26, 30, and July 3, and 7. In addition, the same advertisement ran in the Lynn Transcript for June 19, 26, and July 3, 1875. This is an invitation to hear Mrs. Glover lecture.
103. Science and Health by “Mary Baker Glover.” Boston: Christian Scientist Publishing Company, 1875. 3-456. (Printed by W.F. Brown & Co., 50 Bromfield St., Boston.)
This is “the precious volume,” as Mrs. Eddy referred to it in her autobiography, Retrospection and Introspection. It was issued in an edition of 1,000 copies with various color bindings on October 30, 1875.